Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Background Part 2

In January of 2011, I was lucky enough to go on a few rides with Joe.  Joe worked at my local bike shop and was also organizing a race team.  Joe might be one of the biggest reasons I did not quit riding...Like I said in the previous post, I was in a lot of pain.

Joe saw that I was dedicated, working through my injuries and wanting to improve.  After a couple of rides he asked me to join the team.  Initially I was uncertain, I did not believe I was strong enough, fast enough or even experienced enough.  However, my wife thought it would be better if I rode with people rather than riding solo, so I joined the team.

Shortly after joining the team, I began to train as I had before the accident.  I was feeling good going into my first race, Independence Valley Road Race, and very excited.  I believed I had been working hard and thus I would be able to earn a good result...Well, that did not happen.

If you have ever raced, I am sure you know there is a major difference between riding hard and training to race.   I had done lots of hard riding, thinking I was training.  After about 3 miles I was dropped on the first climb.  There is nothing worse than having to race in the cold, wind and rain, all by yourself.  In the back of my mind I wanted to abandon the race, but I made a commitment and knew I had to finish.  My wife was there waiting for me, and it was a GREAT feeling when she reacted as if I had won the Tour de France.  Somehow I managed not to finish last, but was way behind the winners.

My second and third races had the same results, and I was really beginning to wonder if I should just stop racing.  I finally had a confidence building breakthrough at the Ravensdale Road Race...I finished with the lead group, in 18th position.  It was at that moment I knew I had been bitten by the bug.  Over the remainder of the season,  I only had one other good result, I finished in 9th place at the Mutual of Enumclaw Criterium. 

I am now in my second season of racing, but I am still a Cat 5 racer.  I have yet to meet the minimum race requirements in order to move up to Cat 4.  I have already done the Independence Valley Road Race, and have seen vast improvement.  Check out the race recap at: http://teambonney.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment