Monday, July 9, 2012

North Carolina...Part 2

The previous nights celebrations went a little longer than expected, I ate way more food than I thought possible, and consumed a couple of scotches...Oh well, I only had to be up at 5:30.

When the alarm went off, I had to gather my bearings.  I could not figure out where I was, what time it was, and only barely remembered my name... I hate waking up in new surroundings.  I did know one thing, and that was I had a bike ride with my cousin's husband. 

I quickly got up, silently moved around the hotel room like a ninja assassin, gathered my gear, and got dressed.  I then wheeled my bike to the elevator, went to the lobby, and out to the car.  It was warm, HUMID, and still very dark.  The hotel employee's looked at me as if I were a total freak, but I know the truth is they are the freaks and I am normal.

I expertly put the bike on the bike rack, secured the bike on the bike rack, and familiarized myself with my father's supersized SUV.  Everything was going to plan, the navigation system was running, and I should get to Phil's place in no time flat...Whaaaa, Whaaaa, Warning, Warning, Danger Will Robertson...

What the heck was that awful sound?  I stopped backing up, pulled forward, and got out of the SUV.  I immediately noticed the entire parking lot behind the SUV was completely empty, it was still pitch black, and someone decided to park a jet black Lincoln Town Car directly behind the SUV.  That person had about 250 spots to choose from, and he chose to park directly behind a supersized SUV that had a bike rack mounted on its rear...Not a good start!

I provided the hotel my contact information, and proceeded to carefully drive over to Phil's.  From his house, we rode through some really nice areas of Charlotte.  My favorite was the "Booty Loop."  Yes, I just said Booty Loop.  Yes, Phil told me it was actually called the Booty Loop.  No, I will not share what images and thoughts went through my mind.

The ride was not too exciting, but I did get to chat with Phil.  We had a good time, covered about 25 miles, and noticed there were some small issues beginning to show with my rental bike.  I had a good time, and was now excited to golf in 106 F heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment