Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ride to Sunrise

Today my teammate Brent and I rode to Sunrise.  No not to see "THE" sunrise, but rode to Sunrise on Mount Rainier.  This is always an amazing ride, with lots of climbing, some good switchbacks, and tremendous views.

Brent and I agreed to meet at my house, difficult for me, at 7 am, and then drive to Greenwater.  Brent did a great job holding up his end of the agreement, and pulled into my driveway at 7 sharp.  I quickly loaded up my bike, gear, food for an army, and water.

The night before, I considered pumping my tires but decided to wait until the morning.  I always bring my pump, and top of my tires just before the ride starts.  I asked Brent if he was going to want me to bring my  pump, and he said yes...Guess what I forgot to put in his truck two minutes later.  Yes, the pump.  Luckily for me, my tires had a good bit of air...Brent, not so much, but he did have enough to still have a good ride.

Once we began our ride, both Brent and I wondered if we would see many cyclists.  Then we remembered that this weekend was the STP (Seattle to Portand).  The STP has about 10,000 cyclists participate in the ride.  Some of the cyclists choose to do the 200+ mile ride in one day, while most prefer to do the ride in two days.

I have often been asked if I want to do the ride.  I always say no, and I have two reasons why.

1 - I was finally convinced in Feb. 2010 and began training in earnest.  One month later I was hit by a car, broke my neck, had a severe TBI, and lost over 6 months of memories!  (accident part 1  and  accident part 2)

2 - While there are a lot of avid cyclists that participate in the STP, there are 10 times more that are totally inexperienced and borderline dangerous to others on the road.

We did not see one cyclist between Greenwater and the Crystal Mt turn off.  From there to the Mt. Rainier turn off, we saw 2 or 3.  I was really beginning to think we were the only ones not participating in the STP.  Once through the gate for Mt. Rainier, we began to see some cyclists descending from Sunrise.

The climb to Sunrise, from the park entrance, is about 14 miles...straight up!  This is after having a gradual climb from Greenwater to the Crystal Mt. turn off (14ish miles), and then about 4-5 miles of climbing to get to the park entrance.

Once we started the climbing, to Sunrise, Brent and I shared the workload, but I took the lead for the majority of the time.  This had nothing to do with Brent's ability to climb, rather it was about me.  There are different types of climbers, and I am the type that likes to settle into a rhythm and do the pacing.  I like to think of myself as a super domestique...work till I pop, and then let the big man take over.  Brent being the nice guy, and smart, decided to let me do what I do best, WORK on the front.

About halfway up the climb, Brent was following my wheel and I decided to send a message that I Would like some help on the front.  I bet you are wondering "Rod, what was the message, and how did you send it?"  Easy, I let his front wheel hit my rear wheel.  This does nothing to me, but usually would result in Brent crashing.  However, Brent is an expert bike handler, avoided crashing, and then apologized to me for not paying attention...Such a nice guy!!!  Actually, I had no intent of that happening.  Brent was looking behind him to see if cars were coming up from behind, I was swinging wide for a sharp, steep turn, and the stars aligned for up to hit wheels.


Brent and I kept working, climbing, working, climbing, working, climbing, until I knew the last switchback was upon us.  From there the grade of the road became less steep, and it was a straight shot to Sunrise.  I powered through the turn and opened the gap on Brent.  I always forget that this part of the climb is not easy at 3%, and is still about 3 miles long.  Eventually we finished off the climb. 

Once in the parking lot, we sat for a few minutes outside before moving into the old lodge.  There Brent ordered some food, and we chatted with another cyclist.  After refueling, re-hydrating, and using the facilities, we made plans for the fast descent back to the main highway.

Before getting on our bikes, we decided to take some pictures.  Me being the serious person I am, made sure everything was legit and perfect.  We then found an unsuspecting man who ended up taking at least 4,132 pictures of us...He was really nice and accommodating.

Brent and I started the fast descent, and he quickly decided to stop us for another photo op.  Good thing too, the picture had me and Mt. Rainier...I know what you are thinking, and yes the picture would have been better without me :)

We quickly resumed our descent, and I was carving turns like a warm knife through butter.  I might have slowed to less than 25 mph one time for an extremely sharp hairpin turn.  Each time we approached a sharp turn I would signal Brent, so that I could open a gap.  The last thing I wanted was Brent on top of me if I misjudged a turn and went down.

After one such turn, I looked over my shoulder and did not see Brent.  I could not slow very fast, I was going 42 mph, and was in a slightly technical portion of the descent.  Eventually I was able to come to a near stop , and still no Brent.  Reluctantly I turned around and started climbing.  Turns out Brent flatted in the middle of a hairpin turn...NOT GOOD.

After changing his tube, we were back on the move and working back towards Greenwater.  From Sunrise back to Greenwater, 34 miles, I would guess that we did not go slower than 23 mph.  That was even fighting a growing head wind, which was really moving the trees by the time we made into Greenwater.

Once in Greenwater, Brent and I loaded up the bikes and drove into Buckley.  We both agreed that we were due an adult beverage at the local beverage stop...Hello Elk Head Brewery!  The day was great, the company was great, and the ride was a blast.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rod-
    This is Tyler Killen, your student teacher from the spring of 2011. I am interviewing for a position in Aberdeen and the principal would like to talk to you a bit about me. Is there a number I could give him that is good to get a hold of you? Thanks.
    Tyler Killen
    killentb@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete