Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Golf...

But wait you say, this is a blog about cycling????  Well right you are, and while the title of this is GOLF, it will be directly related to cycling.

I once read an article stating if you golf, carrying your clubs and not driving, you will burn approximately 2,000 calories.  I thought "wow, I suck at golf so I must burn about 3,000 calories!!!"  Yesterday I decided to put the article to the test.

Here is the process:

1 - Find someone to golf with me...Thanks Erik
2 - Find a course that will allow me to get the biggest bang for my buck...Thanks Riverbend Golf Complex
3 - Get golf balls...Helloooooo Wallyworld (Walmart)
4 - wear my Garmin HR monitor
5 - bring my Garmin Edge 500
6 - Play golf, if you call what I do out there playing

Just like with racing, I hate being late for golf.  Since I did not know exactly where the course was, how heavy traffic would be, and the amount of time to get there, I left very early.  Turns out I over estimated, and was at the course with nearly an hour to spare.  Once paid, thank you groupon, I was ready to go.

I turned on the Garmin when I walked onto the putting green.  After putting for about 30-40 minutes, was not reflected in my game, I had a pulse of 62 bpm, walked 0.6 miles, and burned about 12 calories.

Once Erik was ready, we were off to the first tee and ready to go.  In typical first outing of the year fashion, I stepped up to the tee and promptly whacked the ball left, and 20 feet forward.  I immediatly though "oh shit, here we go..."  I teed up again and this time hit the ball about 230 yards straight down the fairway, second shot was on the green 25 feet from the hole, and 5 shot was in.  Yes, I did skip 3rd and 4th, but you really don't want to hear about those two putts, trust me on that.

Periodically through the round, I would give Erik an update on my progress.  I would also look like a fool as I would adjust my HR monitor.  I pictured a man adjusting a bra strap, at least that is the way I believed I looked.

Erik and I kept playing, and I was getting my money's worth...Erik more so.  I know you are not supposed to be happy when your friend is doing worse than you, but I was quite happy.  Supposedly golf is a gentleman's game, and you root for your compatriot...I say hog wash!

At the end of the round Erik and I both checked the numbers.  Erik told me that I shot a 99 (50 out and 49 in), and he shot a 104 (54 out and 54 in).  I was stoked, as I cannot recall the last time I beat Erik in a round of golf.  I told Erik that I walked 6.52 miles, had an average speed of 1.5 mph, and burned 670 calories.

The way I figure it, I should have burned around 1200-1300 calories instead.  The Garmin basses its calculations on HR, average speed, power output, time, etc.  Since there is a lot of standing, the computer perceives there is no work occurring and uses that in its calculation. 

While I enjoy golf, it is not the same thrill as cycling, it is slower, and it is not nearly as scenic.  However, I have a plan to spice up future golf rounds making it more thrilling for me, and more interesting for everyone else on the course.



What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment