Sunday, June 3, 2012

TEARs Part 1 complete

Today I felt strong enough to actually get back on the bike.  After dealing with food poisoning for a full week, I was concerned about distance and climbing.  Turns out that I did not really need to worry about either.

In case you have forgotten, TEARS is an acronym I created to describe The Epic Annual Ride series.  My goal is for each ride to be 50+ miles (hopefully closer to 100 miles), involve some good amount of climbing, and to hit high points in my area.

Due to the food poisoning, Terry and I thought 50 miles, the minimum, would be a big enough test for the day.  We started in Greenwater and rode to Cayuse Pass and then onto Chinook Pass.  Cayuse is at a lofty elevation of 4,675 ft, and Chinook Pass hovers at 5,430 ft.  From Greenwater, the total elevation change was a tad over 3,900 ft.

Upon arriving in Greenwater, Terry, Roger, and I leisurely unloaded the bikes and geared up.  The temperature was about 42 degrees F, the skies were cloudy, and I was cold.  We did some small talk, and then finally decided to get the show on the road.  The plan was to take it easy on the way out sticking together.  Once past Crystal Mt. Rd., everything starts to go up, up, and away, and we agreed to "climb at your own pace" regrouping at Cayuse Pass.
Natural Break and picture opportunity

As the road started to rise, I knew I was in for a good day.  My legs felt strong, and I quickly started to open a gap on Terry and Roger.  I settled into a good rhythm and enjoyed what I could see of the river and mountains.  It was very cloudy, and sometimes foggy.  The higher we climbed, the more the temperature dropped.

It did not take long before I was seeing snow on the side of the road, and then walls of snow.  Last year, there were 20 ft tall banks of snow at Cayuse pass.  I knew it would not be as high this year, but was still hoping for a nice bit of snow.

Once I arrived at Cayuse pass, I could see there was still quite a lot of snow.  If you knew me, you would know that this makes me scream like a little girl receiving her first Barbie doll.
I love Barbie!!!!

I immediately rode over to the snow, leaned my bike against the snow, and proceeded to take multiple pictures of the snow and my bike.  What a beautiful site to behold...My sexy, gorgeous machine with a back drop of snow.  I almost shed a tear!
Some serious snow at Cayuse Pass

Terry and Roger were about 15 minutes behind me, and could tell I was freezing.  I could tell they did not really want to stop either so we proceeded to get a move on it...we still had another 800 vertical feet to climb and about 3.5 miles in order to get to Chinook Pass.

I started out riding beside Terry and Roger, making small talk when I noticed a car coming towards us.  Next thing I knew the car was honking...Not a malicious honk, rather a friendly beep, beep, beep.  I figured the person either needed something or wanted to ask a bike question.  I looked over my should and saw the car slowing, so I turned around and slowly pedaled towards to car.

Who would have guessed.  Turns out that the person driving the car was my teammate, Joe, who now lives in Yakima.  He was driving and telling his wife how he was jealous that he was not biking.  Then he said I know that guy, as he realized "that guy" was yours truly.

We made small talk as I again proceeded to get cold and started to shiver.  After a couple of minutes we parted ways and I told him I now have a carrot to chase.  I again settled into a good rhythm and quickly caught up to Terry and Roger.  I said "hi" and they said "there he goes."
Roger left and Terry Right at Chinook Pass

I reached Chinook and had about 4 minutes to wait before they arrived.  At this point, it was about 39 degrees F and there was a very light snow falling.  IT WAS COLD!  We chatted for about 2 minutes, took a few pictures and then made the fast descent back towards Crystal Mt. Rd.
Me left and Terry right at Chinook Pass

It did not take long before I realized something was seriously wrong with my bike...I developed quite the wheel wobble, but I was not going more than 25 mph.  That is when I remembered that I never fully tightened my quick release after changing my brake pads.  I pulled off the road, made the 30 second adjustment and caught up to the guys at Cayuse Pass.

From there it was smooth riding all the way back.  Once we hit Crystal Mt Rd, I was able to remove my rain cape and get to business doing serious work at the front.  Terry put in some real good efforts and split the workload with me.  Together we made short work of the remaining miles back to Greenwater.

For the first installment of TEARs, I have to say it was a resounding success.  We accomplished a goal, I was stronger than I expected after the food poisoning, I met a new person to ride with, and we had a good time.

Not sure when or where the next TEARs ride will happen, but I am already excited and scheming!

No comments:

Post a Comment