Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday's ride to work

As everyone already knows, I am not much of a sleeper.  If you add the fact that I went to bed at 8:30 (yes, I really said 8:30), then you can probably guess I was up EARLY!!!  It was pitch black, Bella was sound asleep on my half of the bed, and I could hear the rain.  I looked at the clock and saw 2 am, and I knew I was toast.  I tried for about 40 minutes to fall asleep, but that wonderful bliss never occurred.

I started thinking about the classes I had to teach, how I still needed to charge my bike light, and the weather.  Until July, the weather is always a concern here in the wonderful Pacific Northwest.  As I lay there thinking, about all the above, I could not help but hear the heavy rain falling.  This made me weigh how much I truly wanted to ride to work.  I have already spent countless hours in the cold, wind, and rain this spring training, and I just was not that motivated to spend another minute.  I finally decided to watch some races, from my DVR, and hopefully sneak a quick cat nap before I had to decide on riding to work.

When I record a bike race, I always set the DVR for an extra 1.5 hrs...I would hate to miss any action!  I enjoyed the opening TT for the Criterium du Dauphine, and then received a special bonus.  After the TT, one of my favorite movies was recorded...American Flyer's.  I know it is a bit cheesy, but it is still a favorite movie of mine. 

With each minute of the movie and the still falling rain, it was becoming less and less likely that I would ride to work.  Bella sensing my mood to me to just drive, but I still felt the small urge to ride.  I paused the movie and decided to get ready for work, turn on the news, and then make the decision.

After getting out of the shower I heard, on the news, the final piece of information to help me make my decision.  Rain, Rain, Rain, and Wind, Wind, Wind.  Turns out the wind was 14 mph, with gusts up to 20.  It was at that moment that I made my decision. 

I chose not to ride, and instead use my bonus time to watch more of American Flyer's.  Evidently, I offended the cycling gods...10 minutes into my bonus time, the power went out.  Now it was too late to ride, I could not enjoy any more American Flyer's, and decided I might as well go into work. What a total bummer, I guess I should braved the nasty rain and wind.

Lesson Learned.

Have a great rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment