Sunday, June 17, 2012

Skate Creek Loop Part 2

Read Part 1 here

Once we were all warm and toasty, quasi rehydrated, and refueled with gels and bars, we made for the exit.  To our surprise, the sun had started to break through the clouds, and the temperature was a tad warmer.  Good thing too, we had a long fast descent and I wanted the roads dry from the mist.

As I have stated in other posts, I am the smartest man in my house.  Thus, I made sure to ask Jim about the descent.  Jim told me the descent is technical in spots, and that the road has some poor surfaces in locations.  I am glad I asked!

Upon departing from the Lodge, we immediately discovered our desired road was closed.  This was not a major problem, it just required us take a detour and we missed out on a stunning views.  After a short descent and a quick rise, we saw why the road was closed...It was completely covered in snow, maybe 5-6 deep!

Once the descent began in earnest, we hit speeds of nearly 40 mph...Had I not been wearing my parachute, also know as my rain cape, I could have hit speeds of 50 mph.  That would have been pretty cool!

There were some great hairpin turns that allowed us to carve some sweet lines, and long straights to drop into tight tucks and go even faster.  There was also the bad road surface. Since road bikes have no suspension, you can be bounced around pretty good and crash, or you can use your legs as a sort of suspension.

At one point, I was in a tuck, near 40 mph, and did not see a really bad stretch of road...until I hit the section.  I felt the dip, the up, and the shake, and new my bike was not in a good position.  Somehow I kept my balance and pushed through the trouble...upright, and unscathed!  David was behind me about 30 feet, and said that my rear wheel came off the ground about 6 inches and went to the left.  If you are not sure, I will tell you this is not a good thing.  You want your rear tire on the ground, and directly behind your front.

After that section of road, I was a little more cognizant of the road surface.  The rest of the way down was less technical, but there were a few spots that I had to avoid.  The problem...you could not see them until nearly on top of them.  I therefor made sure to turn and give a deliberate point so the rest of the group would know to avoid that area.  Jim was not sure what I was doing until it was too late.  Luckily he came out OK.

Once off the fastest portion of the descent, we realized how warm and sunny it had become.  We pulled off to remove some layers, hydrated, ate some food, and then it was back to business.  At this point we had about 20 miles to Packwood, it was getting really warm, and we were flying.

Stay tuned for Part 3...tomorrow, and hopefully a GoPro video of the ride including the descent.

2 comments:

  1. Rod, great account of the day, it was like reliving the moments. Everything you say is 100% accurate...except I counted 9 cars on the way to Paradise! I'll ask Mark to bring his tire so you can fulfill your promise to "eat his tire". I'm sure David will let you have a salt packet that he looted from the Paradise lodge to help it go down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it will be specially seasoned, and I am sure the tire will provide enough calories for the next cyclopath ride :)

    ReplyDelete