Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hill repeats...FUN!

Today was supposed to be the Skate Creek Loop with the Cyclopaths, but the weather at Paradise was supposed to be in the 30's, 20-25 mph winds, and chances of snow...As you can guess that ride was put off till another day.  Instead we did the Camp 1 Rd climb, with a whole lot of repeats.

Leon and I were the early birds of the bunch and arrived at the designated parking area at 6:00 am.  The temperature was a VERY warm 45 F, with a little wind, and wet roads.  From where we parked to the top of the climb was a hair over 5 miles.  However, we did most of the repeats on the last 1.3 miles.

The area has almost no traffic, and is very wooded.  It is near a gravel quarry, and in the middle of a logging forest.  IT is also very quiet and beautiful...While climbing, you even get views of Tacoma and the Olympic Mountains, when the clouds allow.
cool old stump with a no trespass paper

If you look at the profile, it looks like a saw that a magician would use to cut his beautiful assistant in half...do not tell Bella, but I think I might try this with her :)
Looks like fun...right???

Leon and I had a great time climb, descending, climbing, descending, climbing, descending, climbing, descending...I think you get the point, but it sure is fun to type climbing and descending repeatedly (did I really just say that...intended).  On the climbs, Leon and I would talk.  It was a blast, and I was happy to see that Leon enjoyed talking as much as I.  If you have not noticed from all my posts, I am not on the short side of verbose.  Not sure where I got this ability, thanks mom, but it comes in handy when there are awkward silences...I fill them with awkward talking.

After a while, Les decided to make an appearance.  Les quickly stated that he wanted to try and earn a strava KOM for the segment we were riding.  I told Les that he had a great idea and I would partake in the attempt too...I forgot that I had already climbed a total of 4800 ft prior to his arrival.

After unloading my water, emptying my bladder and losing my rain cape, Les and I were ready to go.  I took off like a bat out of hell, thanks Meatloaf, and was quickly making a move up the climb.  Les was somewhere behind me thinking "what a fool."

I probably went a little to hard at the start, but was still holding some good speed as I climbed.  I managed to arrive at the top before Les, but was really hurting.  Les was not far behind, and looked a whole lot better than I.  This is when I remembered that I had already climbed 4800 ft, and going for a KOM was probably not the best idea.

Leon, at the time current holder of the KOM, thought I probably was the knew leader.  I was hopeful, but did not know any of the leader board times.  Turns out that I did not get the KOM...I am behind Scott and Leon, but I think I might go for another attempt tomorrow.
All said and done, I rode 51 miles and climbed nearly 6500 ft.  I had a good time chatting with the guys and look forward to my next ride.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment