Thursday, May 3, 2012

Happy with my day

Tuesday was a pretty disappointing day for me.  For some reason my saddle was out of position, I had some painful rubbing on an important appendage, lousy weather, and bad legs.  Put this all together, and I was not happy with my training ride.

During the day Tuesday, I was able to adjust and level my saddle...still have no idea how it found its way out of position.  My legs still did not feel good, but they were better than in the morning.  The weather was still lousy, and I managed not to call Bella to pick me up.  I had a better ride home, but still not the result I wanted.

Today everything was different, yet somehow still the same.  My saddle managed to stay in the newly adjusted position, but there was still lots of rain, it was still cold, and I was running a little late when I left the fortress.  Add to those factors, my front light was out of charge and therefor did not flash.  The light is not over powering and super bright, however it still lets the cell phone using, sudoku playing, shaving, finger nail painting, distracted driver know someone is riding towards them.

The major difference is that I had the type of ride, today, that I wanted on Tuesday.  My legs felt much better, and I am sure the adjusted saddle was the reason.  There was no painful rubbing of my most important asset, at least that is what Bella calls it, and while the weather was still on the south side of lousy I enjoyed the ride more than Tuesday.

I find it really amazing how the results of two rides can be so different, with very little change between days.  The more I have pondered Tuesday, the more I come to realize that pain (not debilitating or overwhelming) can have such a major effect.  The whole time Tuesday, my thoughts continually drifted towards how my legs hurt (saddle issue) and how my appendage felt as if it were on fire (not sure why).

Today, I did not have any saddle issues, nor any painful fire issues.  As a result, I was able to focus on what needed to be done...hold a steady and continuous effort.  I rode my "heavy" rain bike, and had no thoughts of strava KOM's, PR's, or even top 10 times.  I just wanted to complete a good steady workout, get to work, finish work, get home and relax.

Good steady workout - Check
Get to work - Check
Finish work - almost check
Get home - Check
Relax - Double and Triple CHECK...after an issue

Crazy thing about today's ride...I actually enjoyed the cold and rain.  Granted I was shivering and only thinking of a hot shower when I got home, but I enjoyed every moment of my 2 hours (combined) commute.  What I did not enjoy is what was in my garage, and needed immediate attention.

I have a 110 lbs. German Sheppard.  For the most part he is a smart, fun, loving dog.  Every once in a while he forgets that the garage is not where one evacuates their bladder and bowels.  Today was one of those days, though I think it was more of an emergency rather than simple defiance or forgetfulness.

I opened the garage and was immediately greeted by the noxious odor of pee and poo (I have better words, but Bella has me using these).  When I looked in the garage, I noticed a puddle of pee that was nearly the size of Puget Sound.  I then scanned the surrounding areas of the garage and noticed poo everywhere.  Why is it that a dog has to walk around when they have diarrhea?  Jack did not make a puddle of liquid poo.  Instead, Jack chose to give me a trail to follow throughout the garage...I was immediately reminded of the Family Circus cartoons.  I then spent 15 minutes cleaning the garage as if I were mucking a horse stall.

In the end, I was still happy with my day.  I still enjoyed the cold, wet ride.  I met my goal of having a solid workout.  I even had my hot shower, 15 minutes later than planned.  Best of all, I rewarded myself with a HUGE bowl of spaghetti with meat and red sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment