Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My wandering thoughts...

Wandering thought 1 - Since today is Tuesday, I again rode my bike to work.  I will continue to ride to work on Tuesday's and Thursday's for the remainder of the work year.  Once I complete my last race, I will add Wednesday's to the mix.  Between the three days, I will log 126 miles of riding.  I normally find a way to get between 60 and 90 miles on the weekends, so the miles will really begin to add up. 

Wandering Though 2 - This morning, the temperature was a HOT, HOT, HOT 39 degrees (Fahrenheit) when I left my house at "oh dark thirty".  I was also lucky enough to have a steady rain to make up for the shower I skipped.  Seriously, why waste soap and water when you can bike in the rain.  While I do not normally enjoy riding in the rain, I usually suck it up and make do.  Today I was way beyond not enjoying the ride.  Rarely do I say I "hate" something, as the word "hate" is pretty heavy, but I was close to hating this ride.

Wandering Thought 3 - The saying "When it rains, it pours" is definitely about the weather today.  As I type this, waiting to leave work, it is dumping outside.  I begin to feel that nasty "H" word enter my thoughts and think "why me?".  Just as I entertain the idea of calling Bella to pick me up, the rain stops and it gets partly sunny...I get excited.  Five minutes later, the heavy rains begin anew and I again entertain calling Bella.

Wandering Thought 4 (3a) - I will not call Bella to pick me up.  I am a MAN, and silly, stupid, cold, heavy, rain cannot stop me from causing nature to bend to my will.  I will get out there and ride, I will go so fast that I create a temporary wind vortex that causes the skies to remain clear above me,  and I will arrive at home in a timely manner.  When Bella inquires about my ride, as I enter the house soaked to the bone shivering, I will reply..."It was absolutely FAN-TAS-TIC!"  I will then inform Bella that I never entertained any thoughts of her picking me up from work (as she suggested on two different phone conversations), so I could avoid the silly, stupid, cold, heavy, rain.

Wandering Thought 5 - How many bikes is truly too many?  I currently have my race bike (which I love, cherish, and adore) and my rain bike (2010 Bianchi C2C Nirone, thinking of selling if interested let me know).  I want to get a CX bike, as it will allow me to race cyclocross, double as a rain bike, and be a new toy.  I am also debating a mountain bike.  I like to read Fatty's blog (Fat Cyclist) and Dicky's blog (Team Dicky), both of whom seem to really enjoy mountain biking.  I also have a teammate who swears I will not be eaten by any wild animals or Bigfoot, and says I would really enjoy mountain biking.  While I do not believe 2 or 3 bikes is too many, not sure Bella would agree...Thoughts?

Wandering Thought 6 - Damn it is raining AGAIN, even harder than before!

Wandering Thought 7 - I really need to get home, so I can have a hot shower, some food, and beverage.

Wandering Thought 8 - I made it home, there was lots of wind, lots of rain, it was cold, and I kept fighting the ever present thought of the "H" word.  Why do I submit myself to this torture?

Have a great night or day, depending on when you read this.

2 comments:

  1. RE: Wandering thought 5.

    7 bikes is too many. You do not need a bike for every day of the week. So in short I am 6 bikes away from having too many and you are 5 away so I think you are safe in wanting 3 total bikes. As my wife always says "As long as you use them and they don't sit around, I am fine with what ever you get." What a woman, I am sure if our wives are similar, yours wouldn't mind, as long as they were used and not in the way. And Bella if you are reading this and you don't want Rod to have 3 bikes, let me know, I think I can talk him out of it fairly easily.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am not the experienced cyclist you are but a buddy convinced me to do some mountain biking with him and I admit it makes you a better rider (Cadel must know something...) - particularly your balance as depending on the trail the MTB is twitchy ... all the time ... so you are accutely aware of staying upright all the time. That sort of fine tuning helps on the road I think, particularly out of the saddle.

    That some buddy has ... let's see ... 4 bikes. He's down from 5 but would like another 5th as he's feeling a bit empty. Road bike, cyclocross (mostly used for when he rides to work and has to engage some sidewalks), moutain bike and a fixed gear/single speed. Given you live in the hipster capital state I suggest your next acquisition is ... yes ... a fixie!

    ReplyDelete