Saturday, May 19, 2012

Mutual of Enumclaw Day 1

P-R-E-S-S-U-R-E!!!  That is what I felt when I went to bed last night, woke up in the middle of the night, and when I awoke in the morning.  Why did I feel pressure?  Not because Bella expected me to crush everyone, not because my parents had high expectations (do they ever?), but because I had high expectations.

I peaked a few weeks ago, but my results have continued.  Going into the Mutual of Enumclaw (M of E) I had yet to crack the top 10, and I desperately wanted to place in the top 10...desperately!  Last year I was able to score a 9th place in the Crit, but the rest was not so good.

Per my usual routine:

1 - I arrived nearly two hours early
2 - Found the spot I used from the previous year
3 - Put together all my gear
4 - Waited for Scott and David
Gear ready to go...Nice number

Once they arrived, we set up the pop-up tent and made sure we looked officially PRO.  We then quickly decided that Scott had to get moving, and FAST.  His TT start time was not far off, David's and mine were shortly after his.
Can you say PRO...Scott Right and Me Left

My goal going into the 6.3 mile TT was to go sub 16 minutes.  Last year I did the TT in 16:54.  I am now fully healed from the accident, and significantly stronger.  I have also added clip on aero-bars, so I felt that my goal was within reach.

As usual I forgot to start my computer, so I was unsure of my time when finishing.  I have ridden the course 3-4 times in the last few weeks, so I was familiar with the ups, downs and turns.  I also knew that I would have a "carrot" 30 seconds ahead of me.

With all TT's there is one thing you are going to experience...PAIN!  From start to finish, and then for a bit longer.  Your lungs feel as if they are going to explode and your legs are on constant fire.  If you do not feel this, then you did not go hard enough...I would say that I felt this ,on a scale of 1-10, as a 21.

I was excited to see the results back at the staging area, but they were not immediately ready.  Scott and I decided to meet up with Chris, from Old Town, and chat about all things important...Wold Hunger, World Peace, CERN and the LHC, Star Trek vs Star Wars...You know real life and world changing topics.  OK, all we really talked about was cycling, but it sure was fun.
CERN - LHC

Once finished with the important stuff, we all proceeded to eagerly check out the results.  Chris did really well (Cat 4 - Top 10), Scott (Cat 5 - 22), David (Cat 5 - 14), and yours truly (Cat 5 - 8 - 15:38).  Yes, I was sub 16 minutes.  Yes, I was top 10.  Check and Check...In my honest opinion, not too shabby for a TT.
Time Trial Results

The afternoon featured a Criterium, Crit, which is usually less than 1 mile with some turns and very fast.  Crit's are not my favorite as they are a recipe for crashes, but in this type of stage race you have no choice.

Bella was kind enough to come out and support me and the guys.  Our friend Roc also joined Bella, and then I received a great surprise as my neighbor, his wife, and their daughter also came to show their support...P-R-E-S-S-U-R-E.  In addition to these special people, I want to thank all of Enumclaw and other local towns.  There were a lot of people out to watch and support us...It was a great experience.
David Center and  Me Left

True to my concerns, there was nearly a crash right in front of me...On the very first lap.  The guy I was following, at nearly 26 mph, hit his front wheel on the person in front of him.  Had he fallen, which usually happens, I would have most likely been taken out.  Luckily that did not happen.

There was a lot of fighting for position throughout the race, but I managed to stay in the top half of the field.  My fan section was cheering me on, along with all the other supporters, which really energized all of us racers.  The closer we got to the finish, the faster and more risky the race became.

With about 2 laps to go, David and I were rounding the second corner.  All the sudden there was a rider down directly in our paths.  David slammed on his breaks, I slammed on my brakes, we both got nearly sideways.  I was able to regain control pretty quickly, but David slammed into the curb...Somehow he did not go down and was able to get back in the race.

The straight to the finish had a tailwind, and we were flying.  I was trying to be patient, maybe too patient, and waited on a riders wheel.  I finally made my move with about 100m to go and was able to score a 7th...Oh that's right, another top 10. 
Criterium Results

Obviously I am now home, and my legs are fried.  There is now even more pressure, as a true top 10 GC finish is achievable.  I will post another update tomorrow, and hopefully have some good to GREAT news.

No comments:

Post a Comment