Sunday, May 13, 2012

Ravensdale Road Race

Today was the Ravensdale Road Race, and if you did not know, which I am sure you did not, it holds a very special place in my heart.  Why you ask?  Because in all my years of racing, 1 year :), it was my first break through and finish with the peloton.  Last year was quite a learning experience, and recovery period (Recovery 1 and Recovery 2).  It was highlighted by Ravensdale and my first acceptable road race result.

Last years race could not have been any more different than this years race.  Lat year, overcast skis, some wind, and on/off light rain.  This year over 50 F at the start, no real wind, and lots of sun....BEAUTIFUL!  Last year I did not have any teammates, friends, or acquaintances in the race.  This year I had a teammate, Scott, friend, David, and some acquaintances I have come to know through other races.

As usual, I did not sleep well the night before, and without my knowing, my wife made a bet with the local rooster...who would wake the other first???  Obviously I won sucka!  Thanks for the coin.  Even the big guy was still sleeping and thought I was nuts.
In case the lighting does not give it a way, that is AM

This is the BIG guy.  110 lbs of protection

I took a pic of Bella sleeping, to post, but was told that if I value my life I would make the correct decision...Notice there is no pic, was that the correct decision?

By 4:30 am, I had checked, double, triple and quadruple checked my gear and to reaffirm I had everything.  I then settled in to relax.  This is code for play on the computer, watch TV, and ponder theories that will change the way science explains the universe.  Yes, I am THAT talented.

I left the house around 6:30, and using my amazing ability to navigate (car nav package). I arrived at the race location with plenty of time to set up, check in, use the facilities, and meet a first time racer.  It was nice to see someone other than me had the same questions and concerns the first time racing.
The perfect amount...One race had only two!
Scott decided to wing it, and not look at the directions for the race.  I received a call, from Scott, and tried to give him some directions, but I did not really know where he was...I think I played it off pretty well.  I gave responses like "There are orange bike signs." and "You should be on Kent-Kangley Rd."  I think my directions were effective, Scott arrived about 5 minutes later.

Once Scott arrived, I think he was still unsure if he was at the correct location.  I kept trying to reassure him...I even walked Scott over the the event sign.  As you can see, Scott deemed it appropriate by giving a closer inspection.  What he gathered from the close up inspection that I did not from 5 feet away, I will never know.
Yes Scott, we really are at the correct location.
After Vance Creek, missing the break and not quite able to bridge the gap, I decided that I would not miss out this week.  In all my infinite wisdom, I felt the best way to accomplish this was to cover every single attack...Which I did.

By trying to cover every attack, I had to either sit on the front or very near the front.  This is not the best positioning due the amount of work one needs to do, relative to others tucked in the draft.  In addition to the amount of work, my legs never felt great...Not bad, but not great.

I really enjoy the Ravensdale race.  It has a nice course, some rolling hills, one technical turn and a semi-tough finish.  Everyone was safe and knew what they were doing in the peloton...Well everyone but a couple of sketchy guys, but I do not think they have been in groups that large and will learn.
Center: David, me to his right.  Thanks Mrs. David!

Not much happened on the first 3 laps.  Every once in a while Brian, Olympia Ortho, and I would get a small gap on the group, but that would quickly be closed.  Others would open a gap and David, Brian, or myself would close it.  No one was able to get away until the 4th and last lap.

After making the sharp turn at speed, and approaching the small climb at the end of the race, two guys were finally able to get a break.  Brian immediately tried to close them down and got a gap on the rest of us.  David and I immediately reacted and slowly reeled in Brian.  I then had to slide back in the peloton while we finally worked and caught the two man break.

You could really feel everyone getting nervous as we approached the technical turn.  It was the last lap, everyone was working for position, we were going pretty fast, and you did not want to be in the back.  Somehow I was stuck behind a person that thought everyone had a right to be in front of him.  He would constantly hit his breaks, let the person in and repeat...Over, and Over, and OVER.  Next thing I knew, I was at the back of the peloton and we were about 1 mile from the turn.

I noticed Scott was near the front on the right, the shoulder of the road had opened up, and it was smooth asphalt.  I made the decision to shoot up the right, but did not want to remain there for the turn.  I was surprised I was the only one using this strip of road to move, and Scott gave me room to pass him.

I was now on the front, able to slide to the left for the sharp right turn, and take the correct line.  As we went through the turn, a person on my inside drifted out of their line a bit.  This made me slide to the left some, which resulted in a little verbal sparring with another rider, in this individuals mind soon to be pro.  He was not happy that I came off my line, which only means that he would have preferred a crash right in front of him.
Map of the course.  Circle indicates "THE" sharp turn

I thought the disagreement was over, and was riding near the yellow line (not allowed to cross, and if you do, it results in an immediate DQ).  The same rider decided to try and force me across the line.  Needless to say I did not appreciate his banter or classless move and let him know.

We soon approached the 1K to go and the speed started to pick up...just in time for the finishing hills.  I decided to move forward, but do so patiently.  There were some guys passing me, but I knew they would not be able to hold the pace.  Just before 200m I started to make my move.  I noticed that both David and Scott were up the road, but David had misjudged his effort and was sliding back.  Scott was going strong and I used him as a carrot.

Once past Scott I got out of the saddle to muster up some extra speed, then sat and picked a line to the left.  I was still passing people.  The finishing line was quickly approaching, I gave a bit more, and pipped a riding at the line.  I am willing to bet that my front tire was about 1 inch ahead of his.  It was close...very close.
Scott finishing, and I think he swallowed a fly...

I was hoping that last effort placed me in the top 20, but was really unsure how many people were in front of me.  I was eager to get the results at the staging area.  Scott and I soft pedaled back, stowed our gear and put on sneakers.  In case you did not know, all PRO cyclist wear the entire kit with sneakers...It just somehow looks awesome to wear spandex with sneakers.

We then walked over and checked out the results...I think it would be an understatement to say I was surprised...
Pretty high tech...don't you think?
Scott and I waited around.  We figured the results would post after the next wave of races went.  This gave us time to talk with other guys we know from racing and local rides and was fun.  We were also treated to an overly eager rider trying to depart with the wrong group.  Luckily for him, his teammates started yelling for him to stop and he quickly made a U-turn.

As we thought, results were posted, shortly thereafter and everyone crowded in.  I did not get 20th...I finished 13th!  Scott had another good showing, finishing 17th, and David slid into 20th.  We all agreed that it was a fun race.

Looking back, I now know that I cannot cover every break in hopes of getting in one.  It just uses up too much energy, which is needed at the finish. Next time I will choose a couple of breaks to follow and if they do not succeed at least I raced smarter.

No comments:

Post a Comment