Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Puyallup Cyclopaths

The Puyallup Cyclopaths are a group of riders that like climbing.  Uhhhh, let's change that to LOVE climbing.  Leon, who I met though Strava, did Cayuse Pass repeats last Saturday.  His ride totaled 74 miles and over 10,000 feet of climbing.  Yes you read that right, 10,000 ft (3048 m)!

After exchanging emails and using his amazing powers of persuasion, Leon stroked my relatively small ego and convinced me to join him and the Cyclopaths on their Saturday ride.  If I have read the email correctly, we will do somewhere in the neighborhood of 55-80 miles today.  I am unsure how much climbing will be involved, but I know there will be some.

As you know, I just finished my "season" of designated races, and my legs are a little tired.  I am a tad nervous about riding with a new group of guys.  I do not know how fast they plan on going, how quickly they climb, and their group dynamics.  However, as most cyclists know, riding with a group of people is usually much more fun than riding solo.  It is not that riding solo does not contain its own fun, but sharing an experience with others is a welcome change from the countless solo hours on my bike.

UPDATE...

I arrived at the Orting "staging" area for the ride.  It was a bit intimidating as there were at least 10-11 people clad in Lycra and red cyclopath jerseys.  Turns out they are not as fearsome as their name sounds...I had worries of a sharp shank penetrating my rib cage had I not be an adequate rider.  Turns out they are just good guys that like to ride and climb.

We rode from Orting to Lake Kapowsin, and then from there towards Eatonville.  Before Eatonville we made a turn (please do not ask which way, I am Directionally Challenged) and headed out to Alder Lake and then back to Orting.

The climbs were nice, and I want to thank Scott Larson for pushing me (though he had no idea he was doing so) and all the Cyclopath guys for an amazing ride.  I also want to apologize for making Tom nearly soil his gear when I heard "car back" as I was getting off the front...I never knew a road bike could do that well in cyclo cross!

With all said and done, the ride was 60ish miles and was beautiful.  I cannot wait for the next opportunity to ride with the Cyclopahts, if they have me, and to live up to my reputation as an avid/adequate rider.

No comments:

Post a Comment