Thursday, April 19, 2012

Balance


Balance in life is important, and sometimes I take my cues from the weather.  Lately we have had a great Spring in the Pacific Northwest.  The temperatures have been warmer than normal, and the weather has been drier than normal.  However, nature likes balance and today balance has been achieved...luckily for me I rode my bike to work, or should I say unlucky for me!
Fog in Edgewood, komonews.com

This morning was crisp and beautiful with some valley fog...the temperature was 39 degrees F and there was no wind.  I love being above the fog bank, knowing I am about to plunge into another world.  I picture myself as Strider plunging into battle against the Wraith in Lord of the Rings.  Of course there are no wraith, I am definitely no Strider, and my only battle is the clock and the hills when I ride.
Strider being totally BA

Wraith thinking Strider is totally BA

By the time I arrived at work I felt energized for the day, but the signs were ever present.  The wind was slowly increasing from the southwest, clouds were forming, and the temperature was not rising very fast.  I know these signs well, and they all pointed to one thing...RAIN.  Nature was here to balance all the good with some not so good.  My ride home was just over an hour, it was 52 degrees, and it rained nonstop...I still had a good ride and enjoyed the added work.

While riding home I thought about the balance in my life, and how to achieve more.  I use riding to balance the stress of teaching.  I use riding to balance food and beverage with health.  I use riding to give Bella needed down time and balance my endless energy.

Sometimes my balance gets out of balance.  There are times when riding goes beyond a healthy passion and becomes an obsession...lucky for me, I have not quite crossed that line.  Just like nature balances the weather, and clues me in to balance issues, Bella balances me and does so in no uncertain terms!

Balance is important in my life.  I strive to maintain balance and today the weather reminded me to tread carefully.  I never want to toe up to the line, and then deal with the wrath of Bella.

Ride hard, ride fast, keep balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment