Sunday, April 15, 2012

Training on the open road

Yesterday I decided to try my training on the open road.  I have been doing the time crunched cyclist training plan, and I am now finishing my 9th week.  Most of the time I just do not have enough light to safely train outside, but there is also another reason I choose not to do the training on the open road...Safety.

Some of the workouts, namely the PFPI's, cause me to feel as if I am about to fall over after the exertion.  There are actually times that I feel like my legs are ready to go super nova
Obviously not me!

my lungs are going to liquify
Not my lungs, it would be hard to ride with these.  From buzzel.com

and my brain is going to heat up so much that it steams out of my ears!
Not me, again, but how I feel.  From iStockphoto

You combine all these sensations and I am terrified that something only quantifiable by the LHC, Large Hadron Collider, is inevitably going to happen.

Today I decided to put these fears aside.  I cleaned my second love (Sorry Bella, but my bike is beautiful and I do love her), shaved my legs for the psychological perception of added speed, and donned my team kit before heading out the door.  For extra good measure, I did a couple extra clicks on the buckles of my shoes and was off like a herd of dirty tortoises (we all know those guys are fast)...almost!

It was 35 degrees, so I hopped onto my turbo for a quick warm up.  Once warm, I finally got on my Wilear and hit the open road.  I road for about 15 minutes in the EM range and then went at it hard.

Yesterday I was to do 12 minutes of Over/Unders, followed by 8 minutes rest, then 12 minutes O/U's, another 8 minutes rest, and one last set of 12 minutes O/U's.  Even though the plan did not call for it, I decided to go and push it hard on Old Eli Hill.  My goal was to establish a new PR, which I thought would be tough after already completing two sets of O/U's.

I flew up the hill...Each time I felt myself slowing, I would get out of the saddle and push a little harder.  By the time I reached the top I looked like a sloppy mess. There was sweat all over my face, drool on my chin, and snot streaming from my nose.  If you have ever ridden at your limit for a long time, you know that means you have just completed something good...New PR!!!  I did another 8 minutes rest, after nearly vommitting on myself, and then did my last set of O/U's.

This might have been my best workout yet. I was neverous about being on the road, for the workout, but it was so much better than training inside.  It was easier to hit my target HR ranges, time went faster, and again much more enjoyable being outside versus inside.  Even better was that the weather was great and it was in the mid 40's when I got home.

Update:  According to Strava, I set two new KOM's on this ride.  I have to say that I am really impressed with myself, not that it takes a lot for me to impress myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment