Monday, April 30, 2012

USA Cycling Rankings

Today I was a little bored and decided to look at some USA Cycling rankings online.  I logged into my account and looked up my rankings.  My last result was not included and I am not quite sure how they award points, but the numbers are accurate for everything before Olympic View Road Race.

The first thing I noticed is that the site breaks down rankings by many categories.  Second thing I noticed is that I love looking at data and the more the merrier.  The last thing I noticed is that I REALLY love some of the categories!!!

Now being a Cat 5 racer just means that I am a gigantic nobody in an ocean of slightly better nobodies.  So if I were to tell you that I was ranked 1 of 180 (which I am not), it just means that I am the best Cat 5 racer according to rankings.  I think we all know that data can be skewed and distorted by many variables.  Since I am not sure how points are awarded, I take all rankings with a grain of salt.

First ranking...Not too shabby...I am 16 of 182 for road racing.  I do not know what my ranking was last year, but I have a pretty good idea based on results.  Results this year: 18 Cat4/5 race (3 for the 5's), 20 Cat 5 race, and now 12 Cat 5 race (not included yet).  Results last year: Near last, near last, DNF (really did finish, but number was not visible), 18 Cat 5's, near last.  As you can see there is a big difference, so we can assume I was near bottom last year.

My overall ranking is also pretty cool, which does not include most recent result...824 of 4649.  This includes every Cat 5 racer in the US.  I am pretty good with this rank as I have to work full time,  give Bella her much needed time, and then fit in training.  I would definitely like to be ranked higher, but I also understand that I have only done 8 road races and I am finally just beginning to grasp the proper way to train and the nuances of a race.

I have also "tried" to participate in three TT's.  My first TT was probably the most nervous I have ever been.  Not because it also happened to be my first race, not because I do not own one piece of aero equipment, but it was snowing and there was about quarter of an inch on the ground.  Turns out I drove over 2.5 hours, just to have the TT cancelled.  Aside from that one, I have successfully ridden and completed two TT's, one last year and the same one again this year.

This is where I can truly say I am excited, surprised, and about to totally brag about my ranking.  PLEASE do not faint, PLEASE do not think I am lying, PLEASE just acknowledge the result for how AMAZING I really am...

I am ranked #1 for Cat 5 TT's!!!!  Remember that I do not own a single piece of aero equipment.  I race TT's on my road bike, with regular road wheels, no aero bars, no aero helment, and no skin suit (not sure I would fit or look good in one of those).  So what do you think????  Pretty awesome , right???

OK so I guess I should probably qualify...I am ranked #1 of 1 for my zip code.  However, I prefer to look on the bright side, and we all have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment