Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Work...aghhh

Both yesterday and today I was at my job looking outside and imagining what it would be like if I did not have to work.  The birds were chirping, the breeze was gently blowing, and the sun was shinning.  It was absolutely glorious, and I was dreadfully stuck inside.   

Everyday I am lucky enough to actually have a job, and it is a job I do enjoy so I really cannot complain.  I teach high school to mostly eager learners.  Each day brings a completely new, and sometimes testing experience.  I see over 180 students each day, and in 11years of teaching I will have had at least 1,980 different students walk into my classroom. 

I share this because I do not want anyone to think I hate my job...Like most cyclists, I would rather be outside riding my bike and enjoying the great weather we are currently experiencing, than inside working.  Many people in the Pacific Northwest experience SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder).  I on the other hand do not, instead I experience NERD.  NERD you ask?  Yes, NERD! 

NERD stands for Not Enough Riding Disorder.  NERD is frequently experienced by cyclists in the Pacific Northwest, but any cyclist may be affected by its dreadful symptoms.  I typically notice the appearance of the first symptom shortly after the beginning of October....my amazing cycling tan lines start to fade.  Shortly there after my mileage begins to decrease, which is quickly followed by my stomach changing shape and taking the appearance of a slightly furry bouncy ball.  There is also the horrible symptom of "nervous" energy.  I become restless and cannot sit still.  This year I think I have managed a collective 7.25 minutes of stillness, and I have nearly gone mad as a hatter.

Bella often wakes at 3 or 4 am to the sound of me pacing in the house, tinkering in the garage, watching infomercials while trying read, or trying to coax her out of bed for a walk in the snow (her favorite by far).  Bella knows NERD is temporary and quickly subsides once the weather turns and I can consistently ride my bike outside.  Bella yearns for the remission of NERD, and peaceful nights of sleep.

However, once NERD is in remission she quickly begins to experience her own disorder...WoW.  WoW is not how it sounds, rather WoW stands for Wife or Widow.  Which is the question she asks herself many times during the summer.  Though in recent years we have found an easy treatment for WoW, and I am sure it can be adapted to your significant other. 

1 - At home I must allot at least 2 days cycling free, and spend them doing the worst imaginable thing known to all of MANkind, shopping.  Consequence...punctured tires and a Stans sealant all over the garage.
2 - Casual mornings with no rush for her to complete my daily mental checklist of his and her chores.  Consequence...removing all energy gels (Please do not mention my secret stash)
3 - Don't walk with a lethargic pace and complain how my legs are tired from a killer ride.  Consequence...Removal of rear wheel for 2 days.
4 - This might be the most important!  When we go on vacations, I must complete my rides by 10 am.  Consequence...Penalty of death.

For me the good news...summer is quickly approaching and I will have lots of time to ride, reflect, and enjoy the best weather in the nation while NERD goes into remission.  The bad news...summer is quickly approaching and Bella will begin to experience WoW.

1 comment: