Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Flats, Flats, and how to pump a tire

Sunday was another unexpected day in Washington State.  Knowing that we were going to have great weather, I put together a ride with my teammate Scott, David (wheelsport) and Chris (David's friend).  We met up around 12pm and the temperature was 58 degrees.  This is the first time all year that I have been able to ride without shoe covers, leg/knee warmers, and a hat under my helmet.  Our plan was to ride from Buckley out to Greenwater and back.  If you have not ridden to Greenwater you are missing some great views of the forest, Carbon River, and Mt. Rainier...It truly is a splendid ride with beautiful views.
Carbon River

Both Scott and I had a put in some good training miles the previous day (training on the open road) and our legs felt a little flat.  There is not a whole lot of climbing on this ride, but there are a few spots that do work you.  We all agreed to climb at our own pace, and then soft pedal until everyone caught up.  This seemed like a good plan, and was executed without to perfection.  I was able to hang onto Chris' wheel for the longer of the two climbs, while Scott and David were a bit behind.

About two thirds of the way up, the longer of the two climbs, I noticed that Chris (riding a standard) was still in his BIG ring.  I was pretty impressed, pulled along side of him, and let him know.  He responded "I probably should not have done that for so long." and I replied "let me give you a pull."  I guess he was serious, as he dropped the pace some, but still was not far behind.  We soft pedalled, while I ate some food, and Scott and David hooked back on.

The next section was uneventful, while everyone put in some good efforts. 

I had just finished a pull and was sitting on the back in recovery mode.  Normally I will stay between 6 inches and a foot behind the next persons wheel, but I always drop back a little if I am going to take on food or water.  I was in the process of putting my bottle away, when I hear this awful sound.  Looking at David, it appeared that his bike was having a catastrophic failure and was about to explode.  Turns out David had flatted on a nice size rock...Oh wait, make that two flats.  I have never had the privilege to see a rider get two flats at the same time, and was impressed that he did not crash when it occurred at 22 mph.
The infamous "boulder"

It seems everyone took copious notes from the week before and we all had tubes for David.  Based on my observations, I can tell that David and Chris experience quite a few flats.  How you ask???  They removed the wheels, removed the tires, removed the tubes, replace the tubes, all replaced the tires in exactly 23.715 seconds...Really, I timed them.  I think NASCAR would have been proud with how quickly the two of them worked!
David (left), Chris (right), Scott (middle)...Scott what are you seeing over there?

Sounds like everything went well with the change right...WRONG.  We then were lucky enough to watch a detailed show on how not to use CO2 to fill your tubes.  If only I had been filming this.  David expertly put his cartridge into the pump, and started to screw the cap on so he could fill his tire.  After about two turns, we hear a discharge and see white smoke surrounding David.  Oops!  Take two.  David expertly put his cartridge into the pump, and started to screw the cap on so he could fill his tire.  After about two turns, we hear a discharge and see white smoke surrounding David.  You are probably thinking "Rod you typed the same sentence again..."  No, it just happened again!  I did not volunteer any of my cartridges for fear of them being prematurely discharged!  David, there is medication for this (click here...because I care), but Scott did have a hand pump.

Finally we were all back on our bikes and off to Greenwater.  Once in Greenwater we chatted, filled our bottles, ate some food and then watch David pump his tire again...At least that is what he called it.  What do you think it looks like David is doing?
Really David?!?!?!  There must be a better way.

The ride back was fast and beautiful, and in the typical Washington afternoon way...lots of headwind.  We all put in some good effort and flew back.

What I learned on the ride...
1 - Under no circumstance comment on the size of a guys ring...He will stop pulling for you.
2 - Anytime you experience a head wind, immediately end your turn at the front
3 - Avoid small boulders...your tires and tubes will be better off.
4 - This is a must...Know how to use your CO2 pump.
5 - Try not to look as if you use a hand pump in a sexual manner.

1 comment: