Monday, April 9, 2012

Weekend rides in the sun...really!

This weekend was a great one in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.  I was able to get in two group rides and not have to wear winter/rain gear, which is pretty awesome.  In case you did not know spring is still really winter and summer does not begin until July.  That means when the sun is out and the temperature is above 55 we are in heaven out here.  Turns out there are scattered reports that Sunday hit 70!!!  I do not think we hit 70 until mid August last year.
Saturday on Inter Urban Trail near Kent, Wa.
Saturday I was able to ride with some guys from wheelsportcycling.com.  They are a good group of guys and have routes that I do not normally ride.  Shortly before starting the ride we received a good omen, if you believe in those, a bald eagle flew over.  I have to say they are very pretty birds and I am always amazed when I see how big they really are.  
Saturday Chris (left) Chet (right)
The temperature was a little chilly, but was perfect by the end of the ride.  We rode from Kent up to Seattle, across I-90 and then back to Kent.  Not too much in the way of hills, but a couple of very small bumps along the way.  The pace was great and everything went smoothly except for the two flats one of the guys experienced.  From what I hear, there is not an uncut spot on his tires and he would do himself well if he chose another brand.
Saturday me in Seattle
Sunday I was able to get with David (Wheelsport) and fellow Bonney Lake Cycling teammates, Scott and Brent.  We started in Orting and did a great ride out past Fairfax bridge and back.  Along the way we had a few breakaways on climbs (sorry Scott et. al.), on the descents (thanks David and Brent), and the final non-official sprint into town (sorry guys).  The ride was great, but again plagued by tire issues.
Sunday, Scott contemplating tossing his wheels and tires off the bridge???
This time it was a teammate, so I will definitely point out some issues...
1 - Never go on a ride without a tube, you are begging for a flat!
2 - Never ask the guy that rides tubless if he has a tube.  (Unbelievably, I actually did)
3 - If the tubeless guy does have a tube, it probably is crap and will flat on you (Sorry Scott)
4 - Never push your luck when riding on a flat

Being the nice guy I am, I volunteered to give Scott my tube.  In no time flat (pun intended) Scott had his tire ready to roll (I am good with these).  About 7 miles later I hear Scott shouting "FLAT" as the rest of us were going about 25mph.  I relayed the message forward, we all turned around and proceeded to watch. 

If you have never seen it, it is quite the scene watching one guy change a flat and the rest of his buddies watching with nothing to do.  We quickly discovered that my tube, now Scott's, was old and the patch that had been there since "Dinosaurs Roamed the Earth" was no good.  Luckily David had a tube and we were back on our way.

We ended our ride with no other flats and a smooth run into Orting.  I was kind enough to let Scott sit in the wind for 4-5 miles and then jumped out of line for a sprint with 0.2 miles to go.  I knew he appreciated the sprint, why else would he have done all that work just for yours truly.  Best part was that neither Brent nor David could pass me or even catch my wheel...granted there was no official sprint sign or agreement to sprint.  

I always enjoy a good Sunday ride, and it is even better when I get to ride with good teammates and friends.  I want to thank Scott, Brent and David for joining me on the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment