Friday, April 13, 2012

Riding style

Today I was sitting and enjoying doing nothing, while watching some talking heads on TV...This is actually a pretty rare occurrence for me, as I rarely sit and do nothing.  Not that I do not have time to do nothing, just that I have a hard time doing nothing.  I am a person who is always moving and never still, refer to my previous post (Work...aghhh).  While sitting here, I saw an article on Thomas Voeckler and thought "if I could ride like anyone, it would be Voeckler!"

You might say what about Lance Armstrong...NOPE, what about Alberto Contador or Andy Schleck...NOPE and NOPE, Cadel Evans...Nahhhh.  Well, why Voeckler?

Voekler has an aggressive, all in type of style I love to watch.  Voeckler is unafraid to attack, and when doing so he puts forth every once of energy into his attack.  Voeckler seems to always find a way into the break and challenges everyone in the peleton...They know that he can win if they do not shut him down (Barbantse Pijl).

I also think Voeckler's expressions are great.  When he is going all out, his mouth is wide open and his tongue is hanging out like a tired old dog.  It is even somewhat funny to see it move back and forth, though I am constantly worried that he will hit a pothole and unfortunately bite off his tongue.  I cannot imagine the result would be positive for his race season.  You can see Voeckler grimace as he tries to dig deeper to find that last ounce of energy, which he unbelievably has most of the time.  Voeckler never makes a race look easy.  You can actually feel his pain as he fights the bike, rain, wind, and road; all while trying to stay away from the ominous presence of the ever closing peloton.

Voeckler uses everything he has been given to make sure he can achieve his goals...brains, power, and instinct.  When combined with a little luck he finds a way to win when others cannot.


Side note...I began writing this post the other day, then became distracted (happens a lot), and then watched the Barbantse Pijl last night.  I really wish I had posted this before the race, Wednesday, then I could claim to be clairvoyant and make money off my amazingly accurate predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment