Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ride in the Weather

Yesterday was an indoor trainer day.  Not because the weather was awful, but I prefer not to be on the road for my "kill me now" workouts.  Yes it was overcast, yes it was cold, yes there was some rain, but that never stops me.  However, once 2 pm rolled around it became somewhat sunny and almost warm (50 degrees).  The reason I mention all this is that the weather is down right crappy today.

I woke up for my 8 am ride, 2+ hour, to rain and winds of 15 mph.  Why is it that the weather plays such a cruel and sick trick on people like me.  Yesterday almost warm and somewhat sunny, today crap!!!  I almost feel like Charlie Brown walking around with a rain cloud over my head, or maybe I was like Lt. Dan cursing the almighty while weathering a hurricane on a shrimping boat.  Either way the weather was nasty.

I have to give it up to my teammates Scott and Brent.  Both dutifully showed up at the designated location right on time and were ready to go.  In addition to them, we had David from wheelsportcycling join us.  After some opening chit chat, we got on our bikes and hit the road.  On tap was 40ish miles.  We started in the town of Orting, which is in a valley, and worked our way to Buckley, then Enumclaw and eventually made it back to Orting.

I am not quite sure how, but we managed to miss most of the rain.  The roads were always wet from a shower hitting just before our arrival, but we only dealt with the rain a couple of time.  However, the wind was relentless and there was never any shelter.  To make matter worse, my legs were dead from my workout yesterday.

To keep with my references above...We safely made it back to Orting, put our bikes in the cars, and the sun decided to make an appearance.  Yes, I was pretty upset that I just rode 40ish miles in 40 degree weather and then the sun comes out!

Orting after the ride
I want to give Brent a special THANK YOU, he was kind enough to forget his fenders.  So even though we missed most of the rain, it felt as if we were being rained on most of the ride.  You never realize how much dirt and grime can be on the road until riding behind someone without fenders.
My glasses
David's helmet
Brent is in Black...He was also the only clean one


No comments:

Post a Comment