Sunday, April 29, 2012

Olympic View Road Race

Today did not start with a bang, rather a splat, pop, slap...About 5 minutes after leaving home, for the race, I was able to watch a quarter size rock slowly slam into my windshield.  Being STUPIDsticious, I knew that was a bad omen.

Other than the rock, I did manage to make it to the race without incident.  Chris was just in front of me and Scott was already there.  David arrived shortly after and it was just like a merry party for 4.  What is better than 4 guys, in spandex, hanging out talking as if everything is normal?

Shortly there after, Scott and I began to warm up on the turbos, while Chris and David chose to warm up on the road.  I was surprised by two things during the warm up...First, how humid it was.  Second, how much warmer it felt compared to the actual temperature.  I was just in my base layer shirt, no hat and no legs/arm warmers, and I was sweating like I was in a sauna!
Old Nuclear facility in background...promise better picture next week

Turns out that everything was timed just right.  Scott and I finished our time on the turbos just as David and Chris pulled up from their warm up.  We then packed everything into the cars and proceeded to prepare for the start of the race.  I was just beginning to lose the ominous feeling I had as I drove down.

However the race officials had something else in mind...During the prerace instructions, there was the normal information.  Do NOT cross the center line!  Watch out for chickens falling out of the sky!  Blah Blah Blah...Then they said, "Oh!  The 200 m sign is actually at 400 m."  Ummmm let me think here...I teach math, so please help if I am incorrect.  200m = 400m...FALSE! 

After the instructions, we waited for the race to begin.  I had that AMAZING feeling...upset stomach, shaky hands and blurred vision.  Everything seemed normal, yet I still felt there was something ominous about to occur.

The whistle blew and the neutral roll out began.  We had about 500 yards before making a turn on to the main drag.  What could possibly happen in 500-600 yards?  Well, let me tell you...Just as we made the turn onto the main drag I hear a weird noise that all cyclists know...It is the sounds of a rear wheel kicking up a rock.  This is not abnormal, but what I "felt" was not normal.

I made the turn and then felt as if I was shot in the gut.  Yes, I had a golf ball size boulder shoot from a  wheel straight into my abdomen.  It hurt, it stung,, I cried, I complained, I even threatened pulling out of the race.  Yes, I am the big dog in these parts...

OK, I did not threaten, complain, nor cry.  I am definitely not a a big dog in the area, and if I did say I was going to withdraw, there would be no ceremony, protest nor mourning!

After nearly 3 miles, the pain diminished and I was able to get to business.  The race started slow, averaging no more than 20 mph.  I would get to the front, pick up the pace, then pull off for the next riders turn.  Much to my dismay, others would not work at the same rate as I.  This was also the first race I positioned myself at the front and actually put in work at the front.  I am really feeling strong and more comfortable racing.

Finally as we made our first turn, the speed began to rise and the racing was on!  Chris was working up front as we approached the only "climb".  It really is not much of anything to write home about, but speed can make anything tough.  Just as Chris pulled of the front, everyone accelerated.  I heard Chris say something, which I later learned was "$%#$^$#, $#%@#*(**, @#$@!"  OK really it was not that, but he was a bit surprised with the sudden acceleration and lost contact.

There is a nasty 180 degree turn and then a vicious acceleration immediately after, followed by a 90 degree turn with another acceleration  If you are not careful, it is extremely easy to lose contact.  Luckily, Scott, David, and I all were paying attention and had good position.

The second lap had nothing too eventful.  There were a couple of memorable moments though.  First "notable" moment was Starbucks Guy.  Everyone knows the guy...He rides as if the road was paved for him, and he is the only person on the road.  There was no one that wanted to be near him.  Then there was helmet mirror guy, who did not use it other than to make sure his makeup did not run during the race.  From the reports I heard, because I tried to stay clear of him, he thought this was a cyclocross race and not a road race.  He spent a lot of time in the gravel on the side of the road.

At about 10 miles from the finish, I lost nearly 20-25 spots and was boxed in.  This was not the position I wanted, and I had trouble regulating my emotions.  I tried many lines...left side, right side, middle, imaginary...Nothing seemed to work.  I even considered trying "mirror guy's" line.  Finally the shoulder of the road opened up, and I was able to make a strong move to the front.

Once on the front, with about 5 miles to go, I was able to hold strong.  We did the last climb and I was in about 10th-15th place.  After the climb comes the nasty descent, and I lost some positions, was in about 25th again, as we closed in on the finish with a very fast run in.

I learned a major lesson after my last race...PATIENCE!  Instead of grabbing the first wheel I saw, I stayed behind the guy in front of me.  As people moved, I carefully chose who to follow.  Once inside of the REAL 200m, I made my move.

While starting my sprint, I moved from wheel to wheel and then gave the final push.  I knew I had done well, and even gave a "woohoo".  I knew David was close to me, but had not seen Scott since the start of the race.  I also knew Scott wanted a finish with the group.

Turns out that Scott did finish with the group (great job Scott), David finished just behind me, and I finished 12th.  12th is my best road race result yet!!!
Check out the guy in 12th!

Scott, David, and I went to The Hub, in Tacoma, for some refueling and had a great time talking about racing and life in general.  I commented that I would eat a whole pizza myself, and both gave me a skeptical look.  I would suggest you take a look at the before and after picture, but I ate too fast.  The server kept giving me strange looks.  I was so hungry I could not tell the difference between pizza, aluminum tray, and part of the wooden table.  If someone had not intervened, I might have eaten the cheese and pepper shakers too.
Yeah that's right...Buckley represent! 
This was my best road race yet, and I hope to keep improving.  I want to thank Scott for his support in training, David for his diesel engine in training and the race, and most importantly my Bella...She is amazing!

1 comment: