Sunday, April 22, 2012

Loving Strava

I discovered strava.com a while back, but rarely used it.  This year as I moved my training outside, I found how cool the site actually is.

If you are unfamiliar with Strava, it allows you to upload your data from a GPS enabled devise.  Then it compares your route with other uploaded routes and, within routes, "segments".  The segments are what make Strava cool.  After uploading your ride, you are able to compare your efforts with other riders who completed the same segment.  For me, this has opened a new world of possibilities. 


Strava also lets you "friend" other riders.  This allows you to see the routes they ride, their times, efforts, and awards for completing segments.  You can click a button to give "kudos" or make a comment about their ride.  Currently, I am having a good banter with another rider who recently beat my time on a climb and knocked me down to 4th place.

All the information you get is free!!!  If you desire more detailed information, you can subscribe.  This will allow you to compare yourself to others, you can specify age group or weight.  Strava will also give you HR analysis, a suffer score, and power analysis with VAM.  The upgrade is $59/yr.

If you are uber competitive, or just curious about how you compare to other riders Strava is the website for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment